Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Watt up those nails: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Nail Color - 200 Strobe Lights

Recently, while visiting my husband in Pune, we took a trip to the Central Mall near Garware. The mall had a fairly well stocked Sally Hansen counter and after a quick browse, I picked up a gorgeous holo-glitter -Strobe lights.

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Nail Color




Product name: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear Nail Color. Shade: 200 Strobe Lights.

Product price: INR 225.

Product quantity: 11.8 ml.

Shelf life: Three years



Shade:200 Strobe Lights






My thoughts: In the bottle, the nail paint is a beautiful soft pink with pink and silver holographic glitter.




 With one coat on the nails, the polish looks like bits of holo-glitter in a clear base. However, just the one coat leaves bald patches on the nails (as marked in the figure below) since the brush does not distribute the glitters evenly.
One coat. Bald spot marked with a brown line.
Two coats takes care of empty patches but the paint still looks like holographic glitters on a clear base. It is a look I like if I want something subtle on the nails. It is also great layered over a dark color as a top coat. The only issue there is, since it is a glitter polish, it is chunky and the finish on the nails is rough. As a matter of personal preference, I like my top coat to make my nails nice and smooth.
Two coats

It takes 3-4 coats for the polish to reach its full glory, for it to look opaque and magical and strobe-y. Despite the rough finish, I absolutely adore how the polish looks on my nails. The smaller pink glitters give a very soft colour to the nails and the larger holographic glitters reflect all colours of the rainbow, true to its name. Each time I wear this, I keep staring at my nails, shimmery and wonderful.
Four coats
Now, let's come to problem that prevents it from becoming my all time favorite polish. If you wear 3-4 coats, and  that is how I like to wear it, it flakes/peels off like nobody's business. When I say peels, I don't mean a small chip or tip wear, I mean serious chunks of polish coming off my nails. And that too on the second day.
State on the second day 


Flakes of polish
With two coats, the polish wore wonderfully. I had no problems till the third day, when I removed it. Removing it, like most glitter polish, is a pain, though a lesser pain as compared to removing some of the glitters from the cheaper brands.

The Good and Bad and the Aby:

The Good: 
1. A gorgeous colour (a cheaper alternative to OPI Teenage dreams: see Dupe Alert).
2. A good quantity for the price.
3. Long wearing when applied in two thin coats.

The Bad:
1. A tendency to become goopy and thick in the bottle over time.
2. Flakes off in big chunks when applied to full intensity.

The Aby Rant*:
1. Strong smell.
2. Rough finish.

* Aby rant is my personal problems with the product, may not be a negative in general.

Dupe Alert: Strobe Lights by Sally Hansen  is a cheaper dupe of the Teenage Dreams polish launched as a part of the Katy Perry collection by OPI. 
Overall verdict: With all its shortcomings, I love this polish. It is unlike anything I have in my stash. Because of the peeling problem, I only wear this mani for a short time, like when going to a party. But that's ok since this would not be a polish I'd choose for a week long manicure anyway. I probably will not repurchase it, but all in all, I think it is worth buying at least once. 


UniquenessColour PayoffLongevityApplication EaseValueOverall Grade
43.533.54.5B+


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...