Thursday, 25 July 2013

Gala of London Shade 811 Pearl : A maroon polish review

Gala of London is a brand I really like when it comes to nail polishes. They are super cheap, come in over 70 shades and are great for water marbling. They come in two different sizes, 7ml and 9 ml and the shade selection is different for the two different sizes. I have already put up a couple of reviews (Shade 612 and Shade 1 and 7) of this brand and they were of paints I really liked. The current review is however of a paint I did not like as much.


Product name: Gala of London in Pearl 811
Product price: INR 65-90 at local cosmetic stores.
Product quantity: 9 ml.
Shelf life: Not mentioned.

Shade 811 in two coats


Shade 811
Shade 811

My thoughts: The shade 811 is a deep blackened maroon. It is potentially a lovely color but there are many issues when worn on its own.  I mainly use this color for water marbling (seen here) and there it works great. The main problem with this color is that it is streaky. When a light color is streaky, one can build it up till a desired finish is obtained. With a dark color such as this, building up only results in the end color becoming so dark as to border on black.

I would have absolutely loved it if the color you see after two coats is the color I could get without the streakiness but that is not to be.

Shade 811 in two coats on my nails
 Excuse the nail on my index finger. I was planning to go a favorite shoe post on my travel blog and while putting on the same favorite shoe, the index nail broke clean off. So for the moment, I am left with a nub of a nail.

Anyhoo, coming back to the review, yes it is a pretty color in two coats and yes it works great in water marbles but it is streaky when applied by itself. If you try to apply enough coats to get an even application, the color becomes too dark for my taste. I like my dark shades to have some depth and this one lacks that.


I wore this shade with a neon orange in a ruffian mani post.
The Good and Bad and the Aby:

The Good: 
1. Lovely shade
2. Works great in water marbling.
3. Minor tip wear from second day when worn in four coats without top coat

The Bad:
1. Streaky
2. Streaky
3. Streaky

The Aby Rant*:
When worn to full opacity, the color is a flat blackish maroon that does not interest me at all.

* Aby rant is my personal problems with the product, may not be a negative in general.

Overall verdict: This shade is highly dupable and you will find better formulation. Skip it.



UniquenessColour PayoffLongevityApplication EaseValueOverall Grade
2.533.53.54B

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...